So last week I have a gathering of sorts to attend. Okay, who am I joking, it was date -- meh, can't say it was one to write home about -- slightly disappointing. BUT that is not the reason of this post! So the original plan was for "the date" to cook dinner and me to make dessert and I was going to make something that I consider one of my best (the most amazing apple pie, but thats for another post, another time). So I text "the date" and see if we are still on and "the date" proceeds to tell me that hes back on this "health kick" and he'll still cook but no pie. Well I can't just accept dinner without bringing anything -- but his "health kick" includes no sugar.
UMMM -- okay. w.t.f. -- where do I find a dessert with no damn sugar (or anything process or blah blah blah blah). That totally eliminates my entire YUM Pinterest board. I'm on the search. I hit up Google and search for dessert with no sugar - I land on the LIVESTRONG website and start to peruse the desserts. Some look pretty unappetizing (shocker) and then I find a dessert title "Raw Lemon Wildberry Cheesecake" -- over my dead body do I actually think this recipe is going to taste any good. Well, DAMN, was I proven wrong. This "cheesecake" is delish and shocked everyone! "The date" even enjoyed it and said he always had a hard time finding a dessert with his diet that was actually good -- he said the dessert was rich and tasted great. Point for me... but too bad there weren't more sparks. Such is life --- at least this AMAZING dessert came from it! NOTE: is you are allergic to nuts, stop reading now -- you might end up in the hospital just reading this recipe AND if you don't have a food processor go get you one now before you continue. Other then that ENJOY!!
| Picture from www.livestrong.com |
Ingredients
- 1 cup Walnut Halves & Pieces
- 1/2 cup Almonds
- 2 tbsp Certified Organic Coconut Shredded (I went with unsweetened)
- 2 cups Bulk Raw Organic Unsalted Cashews
- 2 Lemons (Juice, Fresh Squeezed & Zest)
- 5 tbsp Organic Raw Honey (I really don't like honey -- but raw honey I have found to be quite wonderful)
- 4 tbsp Coconut Oil (I LOVE COCONUT OIL -- lordy I use it in everything-- yum)
- 1 cup Blueberries (frozen)
- 1/2 cup Raspberries (frozen)
Directions
CRUST:
- Throw the walnuts and almonds into your food processor, and grind well. Add 1 tbsp of honey, and mix again until combined. You might also want to add 1 or 2 tbsp of water if your mixture seems too dry. (Next time I would also add some shredded coconut in here too -- but I love me some coconut!)
- Grease the pan with a little bit of coconut oil, and sprinkle the bottom with shredded coconut - this keeps the cheesecake from sticking when you take it out later.
- Press the nut mixture into the cake pan on top of the coconut to form the crust, then put the pan in the freezer while you do the next step.
- Zest two lemons (I think I would also try it with limes one time, just to give it a whirl), then cut them in half and juice them. Set the zest and the juice to the side.
- Next you're going to grind up the cashews in the food processor until a flour like consistency is reached. Add 4 tbsp of coconut oil, 4 tbsp of honey, the lemon juice and zest, and about 1 tbsp of water, then blend until creamy.
- Take your crust out of the freezer, and spread the cheesecake filling on top. Put back in the freezer while you make the fruit topping.
- Chuck in your frozen strawberries and raspberries, and puree in the food processor until slightly melted and at a smooth consistency. Again, take out your cake pan, and pour the fruit topping on top of the cheesecake filling.
- Let the cheesecake set for about an hour or two in the freezer, before cutting into 16 even slices. (Lets me be real here -- if you continued to leave it it the freezer it would be hard as a rock -- move it to the fridge after it sets -- I made mine the night before, kept it in the freezer overnight because I was paranoid, left it out while I got ready for work that morning, moved it to the fridge during the day and it was pretty much good to go by that evening.)
- Garnish with lemon zest and/or fresh berries (hey or more coconut if the spirit moves you!)
I take no credit for this delish dessert (other then the commentary in the parentheses) and it can also be found at: http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/raw-lemon-wildberry-cheesecake/#ixzz21av5ktyV -- I for sure plan on checking out more recipes by the person who submitted this one!
Hope you get to enjoy this "cheesecake" -- I'm kinda nuts about it (haha, how corny!)
peace, love 'n nuts! xoxo.b
No comments:
Post a Comment